This year has been unlike any we’ve collectively experienced in our lifetimes, the pandemic has taken its toll both in our ability to be together, as well as, to live our lives freely. It has equally drawn us together like never before propelling change and innovation that appears to offer social healing and reparations long ignored. Still, we wait for more change that will lift us up higher returning us to the embraces we long to have from those we love the most.
For many of us, we will be celebrating alone with our loved ones at a distance. This may feel extraordinarily stressful and equally depressing as we find it challenging to connect as we wish. There are ways to cultivate our hearts to allow for those cloudy feelings to be distilled into a new form an inner light. It requires a mindful awareness of the gentle strength born from within our ever present inner source of consciousness.
Heavy feelings such as depression, sorrow, loneliness, and even anger can take a toll on our minds effecting our physicality, especially when we turn to substance abuse or other addictions to distract us from the heavy burden our minds and emotions can generate without acknowledgement. It is so important to stop ourselves from taking what appears as easier actions to self-medicate our pain in a way that leads us to an illusion of temporary relief. The pain hidden within the shadows of these modalities of coping furnish our lives with bigger demons to face later, often far stronger and harder to control than when we began to try cope.
So how do we best handle forms of the shadow when it presses in on us forcing us to fight to stay afloat as we feel a struggle to breath, or see anything other than the darkness that appears to be closing in on us? What can we do alone, separate from those we usually cling too? How can we lift ourselves in a natural and holistically effect way to tame those inner storms brewing and threatening our sanity? Where do we find the path back to our own inner light?
These questions are not simple ones to ask. Yet, they hold an answer within the simple task of being asked. When we acknowledge that something within ourselves is in harm’s way, or feel that we may be slipping into a place of darkness we have reached a place to begin to get free. With the understanding that we must first see that we are in the darkness are we then capable to make a shift towards the light. This awareness is the first step to becoming whole and healthy, for without it we remain hidden within our own denial allowing it to fester into a bigger wound.
Sometimes turning towards the inner light is as simple as desiring it to be so. But this simple desire to be lighter and more joyful within ourselves, does require a decision to gain access to make it real. The way to accomplished this is instilled in ourselves as belief that it is possible, by thinking for ourselves, at times making some difficult choices by using all our self-restraint not to make self-depreciating acts or short-cuts to feel better through false means or false friends.
Finding our way out of darkness means to look for the light where we are presently. This might be a simple recognition that we are alive with the chance to experience something new. The light that shines within ourselves never diminishes, its force becomes shadowed by the cloak of ignorance and lost through misunderstanding. It is ever presence, and believe it or not, always active even when ignored within ourselves as that consciousness is a connected substance to all that we know as life all around us. It is a constant life giving expression waiting to be invited to unleash unimaginable limitless potential as we, so direct it.
It might not feel easy to find our own inner light switch when we’ve spent months, or even years groping in the darkness of our bad moods and toxic thoughts. However, we are amazingly resilient beings filled with a force so powerful that through a simple request within our minds we can flip the switch to reveal enough light to cast every shadow from every dark corner within our world. It starts with a simple request and acknowledgement that it is possible.
There are a variety of ways we can become inspired by ourselves to find our inner connection and essentially turn the light on to become a beacon of grace for ourselves and others. Some of these might feel awkward like putting on clothes that we’re not used to wearing and do not feel as comfortable as the old worn out ones we’re used to wearing. Discomfort often reminds us that we are progressing from stagnation into transformation. It is a sign that things are evolving.
Being honest about how we feel is important. However, being complacent with ourselves out a need to find comfort is not advisable. It steals the opportunity to grow and heal ourselves from burdens that are ready to be lifted through a little self-effort and willingness to give it try. If, we think of the choice of being a little uncomfortable to make change versus the perpetual burden of unhappiness due to stagnation, the choice becomes clear to move forward with a measure of grace and faith in ourselves.
Focusing on what we have to look forward towards, even if it’s only that things will be different, is enough to make the change within us with the encouragement we need in order to take the first step. The first step is always believing in what is possible, the unseen, unknown possibility that has yet to arrive on the horizon. Believing, if only for a moment that change is possible, is often enough to make a real plan form through consciousness, as it responds to all inquiries and remember there are no limitations to how that might arrive.
Finding the time to dream of what we want is an excellent way to connect to the storehouse of potential within our consciousness. Giving to ourselves requires time and it only takes a moment’s reflection to spark real change. Don’t be afraid to look into what your heart desires truly and listen with an openness that, if it’s come forward then it also has within it the means to make it real. The seed carries not only potential of what’s possible, but also the recognition of its ability to fulfill its destiny.
Here are a few easy ways to bring more light into our lives, especially when we feel a storm brewing within. Remember, discomfort or even a feel of resistance can be a tale-tail sign that an inner process has been activated and is working, stick with it, it is sure to bring a reward.
1. Get outside into nature, if possible to connect with a spaciousness that reflects that inner expansive within our own nature. Alternatively, filling our living space with flowers or plants to encourage a connection to the natural part of ourselves to renew our spirit. Plants have an amazing way of clear negative energy lifting the vibration within an environment.
2. Clear away clutter by donating, tossing or recycling what is of no use. This has a way of shifting our inner space as well, making room for the new to arrive while giving us space to invite a different perspective.
3. Rearrange the furniture, change the way a cabinet is filled, alternate the inside of the refrigerator, change the way books or objects are arrange on a shelf, these actions shift perspective by getting rid of what we’re used to by instilling a feeling of the new within our living spaces. It works well to move us out of complacency into a new perspective of discovery.
4. Journaling by writing about what we feel and what we wish, allows us to bear witness to our inner world while also releasing pent up frustration that may be lurking within. This process can be very liberating, especially if, we feel we cannot speak about certain issues with others. Self-witnessing is a great resource for self-healing that brings a sense of completion into chaos and confusion by helping to clarify what’s being felt and what is no longer desired or needed. It’s a useful form of integration towards wholeness.
5. Take a bath, prepare it like it’s meant for royalty, in other words honoring ourselves by adding sweet smelling fragrant flowers, bubbles, and candles. Release into a space of nurtured indulgence to satisfy the body, mind and spirit.
6. Adding visual cues to our environment that by gaze upon them will inspire, invigorate and calm the spirit into dreaming of our wishes, while connecting us to our heart-centered place that can lead us into a better understanding of ourselves. Chose imagery that reflects empowerment, light-filled joy and inspired happiness.
7. Practicing a hobby that can release the mind from focusing on issues, such as puzzles, knitting, cooking, gardening, home-improvement, mechanics, tinkering, or some other interest that’s yet to be discovered. This activates the minds ability to engage, freeing it up to become inspirated with unexpected solutions to bigger issues that might be too emotionally charged to allow for insights when focused upon directly.
8. Tapping is a form of integrated healing touch and focused thought has been known to transform residual trauma, transform perspectives and encourage empowerment to take healthy actions for our benefit. It has scientifically proven research to back it up and can be found through easy to use apps.
9. Meditation is always a wonderful means of clearing our minds and opening our hearts. It can be practiced in a variety of styles and can be practice anywhere. It’s never too late to start. Begin by being still with eyes closed, breathing gently and clearing the mind by focusing on a single idea “love” or “truth” or by being in silence without thoughts. Starting with a goal of a few minutes and build up to 15 minutes. It has an amazing ability to transform us through this simple action.
10. Being grateful, focusing on what we have that is working, that is right, that is useful. Gratitude has a way of expanding us into a state where we become aware to be more grateful, and it has a cascading effect in our lives. It is a healing practice just to say “thank you” and mean it.
As we enter into the last part of a very challenging year, when we traditionally come together to celebrate. Be mindful that the best gift we can give to each other and ourselves is the gift of good inner spirits, healthy awareness, gratitude and love. It’s the simplest things that build connections and foster good-will. A card, a phone call, even genuine texts and emails can lift another’s heart to feel connected, seen and appreciated. Never underestimate what a little light can ignite in another or within ourselves by recognizing it’s through the invitation that all light spreads throughout the world.
Be the light that you wish to share with the world by remembering you are already a being of tremendous light. Seek the light within yourself, its waiting for the invitation to be set a glow. Remember too, that it only take a single light to casts the shadows from a room. I believe in you all as bright shining being, for I know that the light of consciousness is always present within each of us. Keep shining brightly!