Fortunately, we live on a beautiful planet diversely filled with life, which makes making friends easy. Our closest friends may be covered in fur, scales or feathers, referred to as four-legged-beings, belly walkers, or winged folk. We share in the animal kingdom and within it we have opportunities to bond and grow together. Our companionship and relationships often transcend the experience of friendship into family bonds.
Animals are fascinating creatures that mysteriously invoke our spirits. Within the depths of our souls, we often come to know ourself as we reflect on these exchanges. It is a magical event to take note of who arrives and when. Some animals arrive through stories, myths, symbolic representations in gifts, unexpected nicknames and brands. Animals often represent the wild aspect of our own inner nature yearning to be celebrated.
Animals companions are more than friends or pets. They are significant part of our collective community. Their lives in deeply interwoven into our lives, myths and hearts. Each beloved animal that joins our personal tribe is important. Often becoming a cherished family member. Some of my friends although without biological children, claim their status as being dog-parents. They often joke about having a baby that’s a labradoodle.
Animals have tremendous healing effects on us. Children gain confidence while reading to their dogs or even a fish. Older generations find spirits lifted with the constant awareness of a loyal animal companion. Becoming the eyes and physical guardian of those who are visual impaired. Animals facilitate the healing process through their calming presences.
It is not unusual to hear people profess feeling a kindred spirit with certain animal. Some feel a connection to the untamed nature within linked to those animals still in the wild. We may find we are attracted to a particular animal without having seen one live. Yet, the spirit of this animal has spoken to the soul. With the call of this kindred spirit rising up comes a message of inspiration. It is ours, if we listen.
Many native tribes from around the world understood nature as a sacred communication between us and the gods. This was especially true with the animals. They were seen as a means of communication with the divine. Animals spirits were seen as allies who strengthen endurance through trials and offered guidance along the way. Many stories utilize animal characters to help strengthen the archetypical connections to the world while securing important teachings in a way that could be remembered.
We may find ourselves strengthened through our animal allies. Especially now, as we face usually circumstances due to a world-wide pandemic. It is a true blessing to have animal allies. We must be mindful and continue to nurture each other. Our animal allies are also adjusting to all the changes. Below is the short list to supporting them.
Important care that can help support our animal allies to live longer and feel better.
1. Love, appreciation, attention and more love. It’s the reason for everything.
2. Fresh, fresh water! Keep hydrated is important for all of us. Drink lots of water, make sure it's available.
3. Good food because nutrition is essential for health. Check the labels! Longevity is link to diet. Chose to eat well.
4. Exercise is good for both you and your animal companion. This might be a healthy dose of playtime, if you have cats.
5. Bach Flower Essence is a great support flower essence that can help calm during periods of stress. Adding 10 drops to a water bowl can help support stress reduction. It’s good anytime there are environmental changes and especially helpful before office visits or travel.
6. Clean environments provide the space to cultivate our shared peace and must be kept free of harmful elements, plants or objects.
7. Bonding time, time to recognize the connection and celebrate it. Maybe it’s a shared catnap, dog nap, a shared snack or even communal howling.
8. Grooming is important as it allows us to really check-in with health and vitality of our animal loved ones.
9. Photographs help to create memories and strength bonds. These happy moments remind us to celebrate and to remember all the good we have experienced.
10. Social communities offer ways to make new friends and share common interests while supporting animal allies. It’s a great way to find more information and discover new ways to participate.
11. Conservation is another way to pay it forward. This can be especially powerful to help ensure habitat protection and support. With different organization available follow your interest and your heart!
12. Share the Love! Do you feel inspired by your animal allies? How about making an Instagram, or some other creative expression to inspire others?
Truly the above list could be applied to any living being. Animals often remind us of our best and worst. Many times they help to our eyes to see love and good in the world. Animal allies reflect a shining beam of love. Let's remember to honor that love and adoration as a gift. Each one of us deserves this same love and respect. Let us call our allies and celebrate our love for them. Thankful for all their support!